Monday, September 21, 2009

Residency Permit, Round Two

The battle for the residency permit continues tomorrow. I only need about twenty different types of paperwork, signed by a myriad of characters. Once I have all this (hopefully by 2:30 pm today, as the office is only open 2:30-4), I need to go to the Foreign National Office. Where is that you ask? Why the local refugee camp of course!!! If I don't want to go all the way to Budapest, I have to take a bus 45 minutes out of town to the refugee camp in the suburbs at an old Soviet barracks encampment. I ran into the American Corner rep, Dora. Dora told me not to go alone, and to wear conservative clothing as I would likely get heckled by the Afghani, Georgian, Albanian (kosovar), and Iraqi inhabitants. Even when I went to get signatures from landlady mother in law, she said not to go alone. She then told me that she would try to go with me (so nice!). Now I am not sure what a 5'4" seventy-year-old woman will be able to do to help me, but I'm willing to find out.

If you don't hear from me soon, please come looking for me in a burqa in a tent on Samsoni Ut.

No comments:

Post a Comment